The first Greenbank Progressive Club meeting was held on June 12, 1920.
The club is not political, its founding mission is "the establishment and maintenance of a social club to promote the social gathering of the citizens of Greenbank."
The club originally met in private homes, then the bunkhouse at the Greenbank Farm. In 1949 the club was successful at a year-and-a-half campaign to build a modern new hall for the Greenbank community. The original cost to build the hall was $3,500. The community banded together to build the structure, with many materials supplied at-cost by the Greenbank Store.
The clubhouse and gardens viewed from the southeast.
9/1/2023 – Whidbey SeaTac Shuttle & Charter relocated its Greenbank transit stop to S Firehouse Road/GPC.
2/23/23 – Major Revision of Bylaws.
Aug 5, 2020 – Centennial celebration postponed due to the pandemic.
Mar 2020 to Sept 2021 – Clubhouse closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Jul 2019 – Completed the repairs, rebuilding, and remodeling of the Clubhouse facility costing more than $265,000.
12/20/2018 – Clubhouse sustained heavy damage by windstorm (See 1/15/2019 Whidbey News Times article.)
Aug 2012 – Rebuild of the Pump House completed.
11/17/2007 – GPC Technical documentation and the Well Performance Review by Keith Turner.
3/8/2007 – Major revision of Bylaws.
1/4/2006 – GPC celebrated 85 years anniversary (See Whidbey News Times article.
7/7 2004 – Park & Ride lot open for public transit use.
7/25/2002 – GPC signed Park & Ride Lot Agreement with Island Transit.
Sep 2000 – Ruth I. Carey bequeathed $13,570 to GPC which enabled a long list of property repair and upgrades.
9/7/1996 – ADA upgrade of the Club building (See South Whidbey Record article.)
9/15/1971 – Puget Sound Power & Light (PSE today) obtained the easement in the northeast corner of the property.
A large outdoor light post was installed. GPC continues to pay for the electricity.
3/6/1969 – Island County obtained the Quit Claim Deed for right of way from GPC.
Note: Approx. 10’ of property along Bakken Road now belongs to the County.
7/30/1959 – Standard Oil released oil, gas, and mineral rights covering 327 acres on Whidbey Island including the GPC land.
2/19/1952 – $0.25 Real Estate Tax paid.
12/18/1951 – Warranty Deed from Coupeville District for $25 (We owned the land.)
2/17/1951 – Grand opening of the Greenbank Community Hall (aka GPC).
Summer 1949 – Beginning of the building construction.
7/8/1949 – Land lease from Coupeville school district.
8/5/1920 – State of Washinton recognized GPC Article of Incorporation.
6/12/1920 – First meeting minutes & Constitution and Bylaw established.
1/10/1913 – Land clearing contract with Island County School District.